Expense Management for College Sports Teams: Best Practices and Tips
straight to your inbox
Managing expenses can be a daunting task for any organization, let alone college sports teams. Athletic programs must keep track of every penny in order to maintain budgets, stay compliant with NCAA policies, and ensure financial success in the long run. That’s why implementing effective expense management strategies is crucial for the success of any college sports team.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss best practices and tips for managing expenses for college sports teams. Whether you’re an accountant, startup, or CFO, you’ll find valuable insights that can help your athletic organization stay financially sound.
1. Create a budget and stick to it: Before a sports season begins, it’s important to create a detailed budget that outlines expected expenses and revenue streams. Make sure to include everything from equipment and travel costs to salaries and facility maintenance. Once the budget is set, monitor actual expenses closely and adjust accordingly. Having a clear understanding of your spending habits is vital in order to avoid exceeding your budget and incurring unnecessary debt.
2. Use an expense management software: Gone are the times when expense management meant using paper receipts and spreadsheets. Implementing a cloud-based expense management system can streamline the expense reporting process and save time and money. By using a mobile app, athletes and coaches can submit expense reports on the go, and finance teams can track and manage expenses in real-time. With automated workflows, teams can approve expenses quickly, and ensure that everyone stays within budget.
3. Encourage responsible spending: One of the key challenges in expense management is ensuring that everyone on the team is making responsible spending decisions. To encourage accountability, set clear guidelines for expenses and educate athletes and coaches on what’s considered appropriate spending. This may include enforcing meal allowances, transportation options, and hotel stays. Providing training on how to use the expense management software effectively can also help.
4. Monitor compliance with NCAA policies: NCAA regulations can be challenging to navigate, but it’s critical for athletic programs to stay compliant. The NCAA implements a number of restrictions on the types of expenses that can be paid for, as well as the amounts athletes and coaches can receive in certain situations. Make sure to stay informed on the latest guidelines and consult with compliance officers or legal counsel when necessary.
5. Analyze expenses regularly: The last step in successful expense management for college sports teams is analyzing expenses regularly. This includes reviewing spending habits to identify areas for cost savings and taking corrective action when necessary. Using expense report data, finance teams can also create projections for future cash flow, monitor trends, and make informed financial decisions that impact the success of the organization.
Effective expense management is essential for any athletic program, and even more so for college sports teams. By creating a budget, using an expense management software, encouraging responsible spending, monitoring compliance with NCAA guidelines, and analyzing expenses regularly, teams can maintain financial success and achieve their goals. Implementing these best practices and tips can help your organization stay on track, avoid unnecessary debt, and strive for long-term financial stability.